What is Phlegmatic Temperament
Persian Traditional medicine considers people’s temperament to make any decision, whether it is related to their treatment or diet. One of the most well-known types of temperament is Phlegmatic. In this article, we will get acquainted with the concept of temperament and phlegmatic temperament, as well as their characteristics. After reading this article, you can almost guess whether your temperament is phlegmatic or not? It is necessary to consult a Persian traditional medicine specialist to diagnose the temperament correctly.
What is the meaning of temperament?
Temperament literally means to blend. Each compound is composed of all four elements (fire, air, water, and earth), and the difference in the amount of these elements in the objects distinguishes them from each other and causes them to have different temperaments. The amount and ratio of each of these elements will determine the temperament of the compound. For example, in phlegmatic people, the element of water prevails over other elements.
Types of temperaments
Human temperament is divided into two general categories:
- Inborn temperament (congenital): this is the temperament with which a person is born.
- Acquired (incidental) temperament: incidental temperament is created by a change in inborn temperament. These changes can be caused by factors such as season, age, gender, place of residence, mental and psychological states, and so on.
Important note: The criterion for identifying a person’s temperament is her or his inborn temperament, so the following information are related to this type of temperament.
What are humors: we have 4 kinds of fluids which are secreted inside the body.
- Choler or yellow bile (Choleric temperament)
- Blood (Sanguine temperament)
- Phlegm (phlegmatic temperament)
- Black bile (melancholic temperament)
Humors influence health, disease, temperament, and personality. For example, in Phlegmatic temperaments, phlegm humor is secreted more than someone with Choleric temperament. Or in Melancholic temperaments, black bile humor is secreted more than someone with Sanguine temperaments.
If the balance between the humors and their quantity or the quality of each is disturbed, it causes disease in the body, or in other words, it causes one humor to dominate the others in the body, which must be treated.
Phlegm is part of the body’s immune lymphatic system and is made of water. That is why Phlegmatic people have cold and moist temperament. What are the characteristics of phlegmatic people? The way to diagnose a person’s temperament and phlegm is usually to observe the appearance and physical characteristics of the person. Phlegmatic people have light skin color and blond hair. Another way to diagnose them is that they have fat belly and sides. Other signs include bloating and having cold stomach. Visual impairment is sometimes caused by cold and moist temperaments, which is why these people generally wear glasses. Excessive sweating is another sign. These people feel very uncomfortable in cold weather and, they have cold sweats in hot weather. They sleep too much. Premature physical fatigue and having wet hands and feet. Cross-sectional and regional pain in the lower back, legs, and knees. The place of accumulation of cold in the body variable in phlegmatic temperament. Sometimes this cold may manifest itself in the back and cause rheumatism. The predominance of phlegm in the body’s digestive system can also cause the abdomen to enlarge and increase appetite. Cold stomach also causes delayed digestion of food, bloating, and burping. Bad breath may also be a result of coldness in the stomach.
What are the characteristics of phlegmatic people?
- They have large bodies and mostly overweight.
- They have white, soft, cold, and wet skin when touched.
- They have sparse and thin hair.
- They have a wet mouth and rarely get thirsty.
- They are heavy sleeper and sleep for long time.
- They feel languid and lethargic.
- They like to eat sweets, spices, and foods with warm temperaments.
- They get bothered in winter.
- They are prone to rheumatic diseases and digestive problems.
- They have trouble eating foods with cold temperaments.
- Have a weak pulse. They are low in energy and inactive and slow.
- They don’t get angry soon.
- They are forgetful and slow thinker.
- Relaxed and easygoing.
- They take everything easy and do not involve themselves in anything.
- They are not risk-averse.
- They are influenced by others.
- Unlike sanguine temperaments, they have low sexual desire and power.
- They are not very strong.
- They speak slowly.
- They’re not trencherman and don’t have high digestion power.
- Phlegmatic temperaments are usually calm, patient, submissive and peaceful people.
- Most are forethoughtful and cautious.
- They do not show courage in doing things.
- Their social relationships are not very strong.
- Do not have powerful memory and high concentration.
What are the symptoms of phlegm humor domination?
If the humors, their quantity, or the quality of each gets imbalanced, it causes disease in the body, or in other words, it causes one humor to dominate the others, which must be treated. The following are the symptoms of phlegm domination:
- People with phlegm domination usually have white or black, cold, and moist skin with small pores.
- Their hair is light brown or blonde.
- Their body usually doesn’t have lots of hair and they do not suffer from hair loss. They have sparse hair inborn. And their hair is also thin and straight.
- In general, they have large skeleton, with large shoulders, waist, and shanks.
- A big belly with fat is another prominent feature of these people.
- They have floppy muscles and do not have prominent arteries.
- Their eye color varies from light hazel eyes to blue, and their lips are pale red.