What is Choleric Temperament
Persian Traditional Medicine considers people’s temperament to make any decision, whether it is related to their treatment or diet. In this article, we will get acquainted with the concept of temperament and Choleric temperament, as well as their characteristics. After reading this article, you can almost guess whether your temperament is Choleric or not? It is necessary to consult a Persian traditional medicine specialist to diagnose the temperament correctly.
What is the meaning of Temperament?
Temperament literally means to blend. Each compound is composed of all four elements (fire, air, water, and earth), and the difference in the amount of these elements in the objects distinguishes them from each other and causes them to have different temperaments. The amount and ratio of each of these elements will determine the temperament of the compound. For example, in Choleric people, the element of fire prevails over other elements.
Types of Temperaments
Human temperament is divided into two general categories:
- Inborn temperament (congenital): this is the temperament with which a person is born.
- Acquired (incidental) temperament: incidental temperament is created by a change in inborn temperament. These changes can be caused by factors such as season, age, gender, place of residence, mental and psychological states, and so on.
Important note: The criterion for identifying a person’s temperament is her or his inborn temperament, so the following information are related to this type of temperament.
What Are Humors
we have 4 kinds of fluids which are secreted inside the body.
- Choler or yellow bile (Choleric temperament)
- Blood (Sanguine temperament)
- Phlegm (Phlegmatic temperament)
- Black bile (Melancholic temperament)
Humors influence health, disease, temperament, and personality. For example, in Phlegmatic temperaments, phlegm humor is secreted more than someone with Choleric temperament. Or in Melancholic temperaments, black bile humor is secreted more than someone with Sanguine temperaments.
If the balance between the humors and their quantity or the quality of each is disturbed, it causes disease in the body, or in other words, it causes one humor to dominate the others in the body, which must be treated.
Choleric Temperament (Hot and Dry)
Yellow bile is the lightest component of the blood and settles on the surface of the blood like foam. Yellow bile humor is equivalent to fire, its temperament is hot and dry, its color is yellow and its taste is bitter. Produced in the liver and stored in the gallbladder. The main function of yellow bile is to create movement and heat in the body.
It is a sharp and burning humor that softens the blood and opens the way for other humors; In fact, yellow bile helps blood flow in narrow arteries and helps digest food.
Expels viscous phlegm from the intestines; Increases bowel movements and stimulates the anal muscles, causing a feeling of defecation.
Yellow bile is anti-infective and increases intestinal motility and sharpness of the mind. Yellow bile helps excrete waste products throughout the body.
Yellow bile prevents high triglycerides and cholesterol, spread yellow bile also lowers blood pressure. Diabetes is less common in Choleric temperaments.
Choleric temperaments are people who usually can’t endure hot weather in the summer but feel good in the winter and usually do not wear much clothes in the winter and get sick by eating hot temperament foods. People with hot and dry temperament have more yellow bile humor in their body than other temperaments.
The skin of these people is light yellow or wheatish, dry, especially on the face and hands, sometimes cold and sometimes very hot with large or small pores.
People with Choleric temperament have sparse hair on their body and usually suffer from hair loss on the front of the head. They also have thick, curly, brown, or black hair.
Slim body with slightly wide waist and calves, elongated muscles, medium shoulders, and slightly prominent abdomen. The color under their nails is red and yellow and their veins are semi-obvious and large. The eyes of these people are usually black.
Whenever due to the consumption of hot and dry foods, this humor is produced more than the body needs; Or if a Choleric person who has hot and dry temperament does not moderate his temperament, this humor prevails in his/her body.
Yellow bile most prevails in the summer and at young ages.
What Are the Characteristics of Choleric People?
- These people are thin but big-boned and have large and prominent joints.
- They have warm and dry skin.
- Their skin color and sclera are slightly yellow.
- They have thick, black, and sometimes curly hair.
- Due to high heat and dryness, they are more prone to baldness.
- They have dry mouth and excessive thirst.
- They are sensitive to heat and bothered in summer.
- They may experience itching and hives when eating very hot temperament foods.
- They tend to eat sour foodstuffs such as: vinegar, tamarind, lemon and …
- They tend to eat cold temperament foodstuffs such as cucumber, lettuce, and watermelon.
- They usually do not have much desire for sweets.
- They have a full and strong pulse.
- They have prominent vessels on their hand.
- People with choleric temperament get angry quickly and their anger soon subsides.
- They are very energetic and active.
- They are smart, shrewd, and talkative.
- They are agile and fast in doing things.
- They are precise, well-organized, and sharp-sighted.
- They have high sexual desire and variable sexual potency.
- They speak constantly, quickly, and loudly.
- They don’t sleep a lot, and they are light sleeper.
- They usually have constipation.
- They have strong memory and high power of learning.
- Strong social relationships.
- They are hasty and restless.
What Are the Symptoms of Yellow Bile Humor Domination?
- Sclera, tongue, and skin turn yellow (jaundice)
- Dry mouth and nose
- Excessive thirst
- High body temperature
- Pimples and acne on the head and face
- Dry skin and eczema
- Nausea and vomiting
- Decreased appetite for food
- Pins and needles feeling in the body
- Fast pulse
- Get angry quickly and calm down quickly
- Stiffness of joints
- Bitter mouth
- Dreams of heat, fire, and sun
- Tongue roughness
- Feeling of tremors in the body
- Aggression and fussiness
- Excessive sweating
- Itchy skin
- Alopecia Areata
- Turbidity of urine
- Temples pain
- Poor eyesight
- Delusions and bad thoughts